Rule 8.6.2 In the Rules of Unified English Braille Second Edition 2013

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Rule 8.6.2 In the Rules of Unified English Braille Second Edition 2013

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mary Mosley
    Participant

We have a question concerning drill 15 sentence 2 in Drills Reproduced in Braille 2015:

Rule 8.6.2 In the Rules of Unified English Braille Second Edition 2013 states:

"The capitals terminator may precede or follow punctuation and other terminators but it is best that indicators and paired characters such as parentheses, square brackets and quotes be nested. That is, close punctuation and indicators in reverse order of opening."

This is in reference to the capital passage terminator.

Quote From: REVISION LOG FOR PDF UPLOADS OF INSTRUCTION

MANUAL FOR BRAILLE TRANSCRIBING UEB EDITION 2015 (Last Updated: November 30, 2016)

July 15, 2015: Corrected Drill 15 sentence 2 (the capitals terminator should appear after the last symbols sequence.

#b4 ,he spoke ! phrase emphatically3 8,,,! l& ( ! free & ! home ( ! brave60,'

My question is, is the previous example correct or would the following be the proper way to treat the capitals terminator when it includes paired characters?

#b4 ,he spoke ! phrase emphatically3 8,,,! l& ( ! free & ! home ( ! brave6,'0

I have attached the electronic document that shows the braille dots

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Rule 8.6.2 does indeed say that “The capitals terminator may precede or follow punctuation and other terminators but it is best that indicators and paired characters such as parentheses, square brackets and quotes be nested. That is, close punctuation and indicators in reverse order of opening.” Either way is acceptable. Since you are asking about the NLS/NFB Lesson Manual, however, I suggest you take this up with NFB. You can contact them at transcribers@nfb.org.

Braille on,

Julie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.