Scansion, Accent, Meter

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Scansion, Accent, Meter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Martin Kuemerle
    Participant

In the enclosed PDF I have a bit of Meter symbols above text/IPA nightmare going on. MBC is once again pretty scarce on info for this stuff. Spacing seems a bit off I can't tell what symbols are above what text/IPA syllables? Do the vertical bars go above also? I also have some ( ) and a ? above (pg.59) as print for these? Should I just start meter symbols above the first letter and leave them not spaced? Can I leave some spaces in the text/IPA lines to accommodate the spacing of symbols above between words? Are there any other documents to help me understand some of this? My format on these IPA/Russian/English paragraphs has been 1-7, 3-7, 5-7 up to now.

THX Martin

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

It appears to me that the vertical bars are just a division of the * / * / or * / * symbols showing what is iambic pentameter and what is iambic tetrameter. And wow...what a challenging assignment!

I think you have to do whatever you think would make this the most understandable. Just insert well-worded transcriber's notes explaining your format. Putting spaces in where the vertical bars appear seems to me to be a good idea. To my knowledge, there are no guidelines in other documents. I assume you've scoured the rules on IPA...that would be my first suggestion.

Cindi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.