Science Abbreviation

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Science Abbreviation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

When transcribing Science books there seem to be a lot of abbreviations.

Example: F (with a 1 in the subscript position) generation

Meaning: first filial generation

Does this need to be brailled as a mathematical term? Or do I braille it as an abbreviation?

According to Rule VIII §51 the presence of the superscript indicator has no effect upon the decision that the ELI must be used. So, since there is no subscript indicator required for the subscript do I use the letter indicator with the F or not ?

Is there some general rule I can apply to Science terms that use abbreviation?

Thank You.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am seeking further counsel on this question, to see whether the rest of the committee would consider the F to be a letter or an abbreviation. Please check back again for an answer.

Betty

betty.marshall
    Participant

I have received varied responces from the committee on this topic. It comes down to whether or not you consider the F to be a letter or an abbreviation. Most of the committee have agreed that they have usually seems this transcribed without the letter indicator or the supscript level indicator. Hopefully this will be clarified in future Nemeth upodates.

Betty
    edited by betty.marshall on 6/29/2011

betty.marshall
    Participant

Thank you very much for your help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.