Sequentially numbered tables over multiple pages

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Sequentially numbered tables over multiple pages

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Section 11.3.2 of Formats 2011 deals with sequentially numbered tables. Subsection c states that when a table is longer than one braille page “The table number is repeated and centered on the last line of each succeeding page, followed by (cont.).

I am transcribing a text book in which the tables are sequentially numbered in each chapter (TABLE 1.1, TABLE 1.2, etc.) Some of these “tables” are just long lists or even a full page of text. In this case putting the (cont.) line at the end of each braille page seems disruptive.

I’m not understanding what it is about the fact that the table is numbered sequentially that requires this format. Or if this format is useful for any multiple-page table, I’m not understanding why it’s only specified for sequentially numbered tables.

I guess the bottom line is, am I using this format for tables to which it does not apply?

Thank-you for so generously sharing your expertise. BTW, I think that Formats 2011 is beautifully laid out and I do appreciate all the hard work that went into it.
    --Alice

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lynnette
    Participant

Could you please send a sample page(s)?

Thanks

Sorry for the delayed response. I was out of town. The attached pdf is a chapter of the book. Table 14.1 on page 360 is a table that is a full page of text. The attached Braille 2000 file is the braille for the table.

Alice

The idea of the label being repeated is that the reader will know, no matter what the format of the table, that it is continued. You don't actually need the running label on the bottom of the first page of the table, just succeeding pages.

As to your question about why only sequentially numbered tables have this requirement, I really can't think of a good reason. It would make sense to me that all tables have the running label if they are continued.

Lynnette

Lynnette
    Participant

Lynette.

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful.

Alice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.