Sets of numbers – R, N, Z

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Sets of numbers – R, N, Z

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Walker1
    Participant

The Cartesian product of the three sets R, N and Z is RxNxZ = [(s, y, z): x is a member of R, y is a member of N, z is a member of z}. I think it is what you called a double struck R. I tried to copy and paste from the document, without any luck. Hope this helps.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Yes, that attachment helps a lot. You are correct that your print is using the "double struck" or "blackboard bold" typeface for letters that refer to sets of numbers (e.g. ℝ for real numbers, ℤ for integers, ℕ for natural numbers).

In a transcription using Nemeth within UEB, in instances like you describe, it is considered best practice to switch into Nemeth Code for double struck letters wherever they appear and to use the Nemeth Code script typeface for such double struck typeface (with the typeface substitution explained in a transcriber's note).

Please let me direct you to Lesson 7 of the Provisional Revised Nemeth Course Manual, posted by NFB [especially 7.10 and Example 7.5-1, including the commentary before it] for more discussion and examples.

–Kyle

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.