shading and the special symbols page

Home Forums Tactile Graphics shading and the special symbols page

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    togilby
    Participant

Hi Rebecca,

In reference to this statement for Example 31: Story Web in the Tactile Graphics 2010 Supplement:

"use of area texture fill without a key to show print shading"

and the cross-reference 3.1.1 (confusion here -- how does 3.1.1 even relate in this case?)

what are the guidelines for when shading should/must/needn't be included on the special symbols page? In my work, I always (hopefully) include shading on the sspage if there's an actual reference to shading in the text ... as there is in Example 31!

Insights?? Clarification?

thanks, Trumbull

rsherwood12
    Participant

Hi Trumbull,

Thanks for you question. I am conferring with some folks who worked on the supplement to see if they have insight into why 3.1.1 was referenced in example 31.

In the meantime, I want to clarify whether you are asking about including area textures on a special symbols page, or a key listing before the graphic?

Best,
    Rebecca

togilby
    Participant

Thanks for researching, Rebecca.

I'm asking about both situations but specifically about the reference to shading and if perhaps I've missed a guideline about not having to include "shading" in either scenario, perhaps because it's such a common reference? I understand that area textures must be included on the SS page, just thought shading might be an exception based on the referenced statement from Example 31  and the fact that, in the example, there is a very specific reference to a shaded oval. Does this clarify my inquiry?

Thanks again!

rsherwood12
    Participant

Hi Trumbull,

Thanks for your patience.

I agree that the need for the reference to 3.1.1 is not particularly clear here, since it only defines what an area is and does not address use or non-use of texture or a key. This reference may be removed in the updated version of the Supplement.

I don't believe there is a specific guideline about when to key or not to key a texture. My understanding is that if the texture is not used symbolically, to represent something, but serves simply to distinguish one area tactually from surrounding areas, then a key is not required. Indeed, it would be difficult to state on a key or symbols list what the texture is representing.

If a texture is used to stand in for something (i.e., water versus land, categories in a bar graph, varying amounts of rainfall) and a label or alphabetic/numeric key would not fit within the textured area, then an explanation would be required either in a key before the graphic, or on the Graphics Symbols Page following the Special Symbols Page (see 5.14 for the section on Graphics Symbols Pages).

I hope that helps!

Best,
    Rebecca

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.