Shape indicators

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Shape indicators

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Connie Stone
    Participant

Should all shape indicators in a UEB Nemeth book be in Nemeth, regardless of if it is in a paragraph, sentence or any other reason that you can stay in UEB?

For example, if you have a table with numbers that can all be in UEB but one of the entries is a box, can the box be a UEB square indicator or does the entire table now need to be in Nemeth.

Thank you

Lindy Walton

Hi Connie.

Shapes need to be transcribed in Nemeth, but the entire table does not need to be. Your code-switching decisions depend on what else is in the body of the table. If that square is the only Nemeth item in the table, just the shape symbol can be between Nemeth switch indicators and the rest of the table can be in UEB.

There will always be times when this just simply won't work. In such a case, you can use a different method as long as you explain it in a transcriber's note. This would be the exception, of course. If you can post an image of the print, I can give better advice.

Note that icons follow different rules. An icon can be transcribed in either code.

Lindy

Connie Stone
    Participant

Thank you.

So, what about an arrow? In Nemeth, it begins with the shape indicator, so would it also need to be Nemeth or a tactile? I am sending an example of one along with the boxes. I see arrows in regular text simply meaning next step but could not find an example at the moment of this type.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

You are right that the arrows in your sample are not math arrows. They are lead lines or pointing arrows. I believe tactile graphics would say that the arrowheads be omitted and that the lines not be at a diagonal angle. I suggest you post this question on the tactile graphics forum and see what they recommend.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.