Should I create graphics for these?

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Should I create graphics for these?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Christina Conroy
    Participant

Hi,

I have a couple pages for which I'm not sure whether to produce graphics. For the buttons page I thought maybe I should, but I'm not sure whether little fingers will be able to differentiate the number of holes in buttons. (The project is single-sided, double spaced.) The zoo animals and city, and a similar page that is a park, I'm leaning toward a TN that tells the student to ask her teacher for help. But I'd like an expert's opinion.

Thanks!

Christina

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Christina Conroy
    Participant

Here is another image

Attachments:
    Christina Conroy
    Participant

And a third

Attachments:
    dspence

Hi Christina,

Can you tell me what grade level this is?

Diane

Christina Conroy
    Participant

Oops! Sorry. I had meant to include that it's a first grade reading book.

Thanks, Diane!

Christina

Christina Conroy
    Participant

Hi Diane,

Any thoughts on these graphics? I am proofreading the volume at this point. I'd love your input.

Thanks!

Christina

dspence

Hi Christina,

Sorry for the delayed response. I’ve consulted with a couple of people.

I don’t think there is one right answer. This being 1st grade material only complicates the problem. You have to be careful not to omit any of the buttons because it appears as though questions requires all of them. You could break it up and make a set of buttons with the shapes and letters on them for the colors. You could include a key for the color letters but would need to tell them in a TN before the key to ask their teacher for help.  If you provided a print TN for the teacher she/he the read the TN to the student. This would get the student familiar with the concept of keys. You could then braille all the questions  related to shape and colors. You could then present all the shapes again with the button holes followed by the questions for button holes.

This is what one person suggested “It’s my opinion that the exercise could still be done with fewer buttons. They could still classify them by shape and the number of holes. I can’t remember how many colours were involved, but perhaps some could be textured and others plain. I think that … the buttons could be placed in a row rather than scattered across the page for them to try to “find”.  I think that if they were large enough. 1-2 inches, they could readily discern the number of holes in each button.
    Just my thoughts ….” This person later recanted and said that none of the buttons could be omitted.
    I’m not sure how much this helped, let me know what your final decision is…I’d love to hear. Good luck!
    Diane
    Christina Conroy
    Participant

Hi Diane,

Thanks so much for all the thoughts and research! What I ended up doing (and hope it's ok) is to have a TN that says that the number of holes is not represented in braille, and that the student should ask her/his teacher for help. Then I did a two-page graphic with all the buttons in their shapes and rough sizes, and approximate positions on the page. And I textured for the three colors. With the key, it took up two pages total. And I'm kind of limited to two pages, given the size of the volume.

Again, thank you so much!

Christina

Christina Conroy
    Participant

Oh, and for the other pages I just have a TN that tells the student to ask her/his teacher for help. It's just too complicated to try to draw, in my opinion.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.