Side By Side Test Question

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Side By Side Test Question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jmar
    Participant

This is an example from an "ACT English" test. The passage is on the left side of the page and the answers are on the right side of the same page. Question: Is there a correct way to format this test, so that, the braille reader has the same information available to him/her as the print reader does? Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

There is not a specific format for these types of situations.  I have seen them done three different ways.

1.  If the passage and the questions are on always two consecutive pages (with nothing else on those two pages), the two pages are combined with the passage being completed first followed by all the questions to that passage.  In the example you sent me, this wouldn't work because the next passage starts on the same page as the first passage ends.
    2. I've seen a transcriber's note added to the notes page that says that each passage is transcribed in its entirety and the related questions are moved to follow the passage.  Print page numbers are then done as they are in print - as if the passage is the only thing on the page - with the questions placed at the end of the applicable passage.  This works ok as it lets the reader finish the entire passage and then answer all the questions...but it does not keep the questions on the same page as they are in print.
    3. I've seen them transcribed just as they are in print...which I think makes it hard for the reader as oftentimes the passage is then interrupted in the middle of a sentence.

You will need to check with whoever is requesting this material and see which they would prefer.  I don't believe there is any way to present it to the braille reader in exactly the same was as it is for the print reader.  You can't always put both the passage and the questions on the same braille page in any way that is not completely disruptive to the reading of the passage.

Cindi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.