Single quote mark used in GCS

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Single quote mark used in GCS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CarmenG
    Participant

I'm working on a UEB w/Nemeth book.  An example of a spreadsheet on the TI-Nspire graphing calculator contains formulas that include a single quote mark, and I'm not sure how to reproduce it.  An example of what appears in one of the spreadsheet cells is

='x^3-'y^3

What symbol should I use for the single quote mark?

Thanks, Carmen

CarmenG
    Participant

I'm sorry.  I checked one more thing and found an answer. 🙂  In the preliminary section of the 4-4-2023 AN INTRODUCTION TO
    BRAILLE MATHEMATICS USING UEB WITH NEMETH, I found this:

The braille symbol for the prime sign is used wherever the print symbol appears in mathematical context regardless of its meaning. When more than one prime sign is used in print, the equivalent number of signs are used in braille. Prime signs must be unspaced from each other and from the quantity to which they apply. In the following example, the prime sign is used to denote feet and inches.

I'll use a prime sign.

Thanks again, Carmen

Lindy Walton

Hmm, interesting solution. I think that sentence in the lesson book needs to be rewritten. "regardless of its meaning" is referring to whether it means feet, or minutes of arc, or a derivation of a similar item such as A and A'. The statement should read "regardless of its *mathematical meaning".

The new Nemeth punctuation list include the UEB single quotation marks. The opening (left) single quotation mark is (6, 236) as it always has been. The closing (right) single quotation mark is (6, 356). In your example, if you are certain these are punctuation marks, you should use those symbols.

Lindy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.