single word switch indicator question

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science single word switch indicator question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Shelley Mack
    Participant

The current guidelines say that the single word switch indicator can be used for a word or hyphenated word within Nemeth Code.  Am I correct in interpreting that to mean the symbols sequence "and/or" does not qualify for using that indicator? The student who posed this question to me did not have a specific example, rather just thought of the possibility of something like this.

Thanks,

Shelley

kdejute

Thank you for your question, Shelley. I am conferring with others and will get back to you as soon as we have agreed.

–Kyle

kdejute
    Thank you for passing along this question, Shelley. Your interpretation is correct; the BANA Nemeth Code Technical Committee does NOT consider the symbols-sequence "and/or" to be a single word, so it could not be preceded by the Nemeth Code single-word switch indicator.
    If "and/or" occured between two pieces of mathematical material, Nemeth Code would have to be terminated before "and/or".
    Please do post again if you have follow-up concerns or questions.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.