slash

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Since the slash doesn't terminate the number sign, is a letter sign needed in 3/day?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Before I answer this, can you please tell me what type of book this is in and would it be possible to upload a copy of the page this appears on.
    Thank you
    Saralyn

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

This is an adult book about nutrition. There is a chart that I'm brailling in outline format that shows how many times per day children, teens and adults should eat grains, veggies, fruits, etc. So 3/day, 4-5/day, 2+/day appears many times. They are listed and are not in complete sentences. The instruction manual for transcribing uses a letter sign for $2/gal and the NBA bulletin uses a letter sign with $3/qt. The very wise sage I rely on says the letter sign is not needed for this situation, but I'm searching for better guidelines on when a letter sign is needed after a slash which follows a number.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for your patience. This question does not have an easy answer.
    I am conferencing other experts and hope to have something for you soon.
    Saralyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for such an interesting question.
    There are no clear cut rules that address this particular situation.
    This is one of those times that a transcriber would have to study the situation carefully and make a judgement call.
    I have conferenced with a number of people about this issue. I've been given two very different answers.

Opinion #1
    Yes use the letter sign.
    Since we have no clear rules about to handle a situation like this, follow the rule that says the slash does not terminate a number.

Opinion #2
    No do not use the letter sign.
    The only specific rule we have about using the letter sign after the slash refers specifically to letters.

Both opinions are equally valid.
    Please remember that these are merely opinions and do not reflect a right or wrong way of handling this situation.
    If you are brailling this for an agency or for a specific student, I would ask the agency's or teacher's preference.
    Otherwise, use your transcriber's discretion and stay consistent with whatever you chose to do.
    Sorry I could not give you a more specific answer.

Thank you for your patience,
    Saralyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Saralyn. I know there can't be hard and fast rules about everything, even if they are more comforting.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.