SM (Service Mark)

Home Forums English Braille American Edition SM (Service Mark)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

I hope this is the correct place to post this question since it is about a symbol. We have symbols for Registered Trademark and for Trademark. We do not have one for Service Mark (as far as I know) which appears as a superscript SM at the end of a company name. I want to make my own symbol (^s or ^sm) and list it on the Special Symbol's page but I don't know if that's acceptable. If not, would I place SM in parentheses unspaced following the name? Are there any other options?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What an interesting question.
    Before I respond, would it be possible to upload a pdf of the print page where this appears?
    I'm also curious how you know what this superscript SM stands for. Is it referenced in the book somewhere?
    Thanks
    Saralyn

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had to Google it! The first paragraph in the attached document is for the transcription. The second paragraph is an example of what I found on-line. I found many references and they all said basically the same thing.

braillebud
    Participant

After conferencing with some colleagues, the general consensus is that this should be treated the same way the trademark symbol is brailled.
    Using the dots 45, letter s. Spaced as in print and listed on the SS page or at the point of usage.
    I hope this helps.
    --Saralyn

braillebud
    Participant

Works for me. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.