Spanish available, in English text

Home Forums Foreign Language Spanish available, in English text

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi,

What should I do with Spanish text within an otherwise English document, saying that the document is available in Spanish? It's meant for Spanish speakers, is included in English text (bus route information), and has accent marks. I've attached the PDF. The Spanish is in the lower right corner of the first page.

For that matter, do I leave this Spanish paragraph where it is, which is obscure in print and even more so in braille, or do I move it to the front of the transcribed document?

Julie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anna

Category 1 (contracted, with UEB modifiers) is the best for this Spanish, since there's only a small amount in an overall English context.

I don't think there's a good basis in any guidelines for moving the Spanish text, and it's unclear if moving it would make it more helpful.  My advice would be to add a note on the TN page (or on the first page, if there's no TN page) saying something like "Spanish information available".  I don't know if you can say much more than that, because the brochure doesn't even say where the Spanish information is!  But I think a TN will be the simplest solution to this problem.

Anna

Follow-up: committee members suggested that the note on the TN page say something like "Spanish text within the brochure is available on braille page ..."  That would help the reader find the information, such as it is, quickly.

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Okay, thanks!

Julie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.