Spanish Contents, enclosure, emphasis

Home Forums Foreign Language Spanish Contents, enclosure, emphasis

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Here is the contents page for a Spanish language book, Grade 3. On this page are three items that I cannot figure out how to address.

1- How do we braille the contents with this type of page numbering?
    - Would we show the full content in each volume of the book?
    - Or, show the full contents in the first volume and show only the page numbers that occur in other volumes in those other volumes?
    -- Note that print pages 20-21 appear in volume 2 which makes the attached braille contents look a bit strange. see attached braille.

2 - The /r/ from the contents is shown as r (italic r) on print pages 2-3, 22-23, 42-43. On those pages, the print talks about syllables and words with r and shows r (italic r) but does not show any special enclosures. example (note italics): risa tarro

3 - Letter Indicator - The syllable que is also a word que. Same with some other italicized syllables. The print book does not emphasize or discuss the word que, but does emphasize and discuss the syllable.
    - Do we emphasize or use the letter indicator. 3.1.b would lead me to think I would retain the special typeface (emphasize).

4 - hyphen ces -ces
    - 3.1.b and 3.4.a. lead me to think that I would braille this: hyphen emphasis indicator ces -.ces

joannavenneri
    Participant

Item 1: I conferred with Lynnette Taylor and she suggests that these contents be done as an index, even though these are not in alphabetical order. The idex format will accommodate these page numbers and will also resolve the issue of the span of page numbers across more than one volume. It will be necessary to braille the entire contents at the beginning of each volume. I think you could write a TN for the first volume only to explain that the table of contents is brailled in index format to accommodate the long page number entries and that the complete contents will be in each volume. See the bottom of page 39 in Formats for contents in index format.

Also in the contents--the fifth item--Palabras con n antes de ... etc. I notice that there is a handwritten notation that indicates italics. Italics should not be added where not present in print. The other freestanding letters in this contents entry are in italics. These should also be italicized in braille. See. 3.1b again. Italics retained for freestanding foreign letters.

Item 2: Is there a question here? If you are asking about something about the r, I don't understand what it is. You have stated that symbols of enclosure are used in the contents, but apparently not in the text. Since you have not included the text page, I can't tell that. In any case, I don't understand if you are asking about something. Please let me know if you have a question about this and I'll be glad to try and help.

Item 3: Yes, the letter indicator should be used with all syllables. See 1.6b(2). The new foreign language rules require the letter sign for all word parts, whether preceded by a hyphen or not. Use the letter sign and follow print for emphasis. The letter sign will follow the typeface indicator, if present. See 1.8 Order of braille composition signs with foreign letters or words.

Item 4: Yes.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you Joanna.

Item 2. You are correct, I forgot to ask a question. Should I braille the slashes as phonetic enclosures [simbraille]^/r^/[/simbraille] (what the print symbols look like to me), diacritic enclosures [simbraille] (r) [/simbraille] (recommendation by another transcriber), or something else. See newly attached text page.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Please first tell me why you would consider phonetic enclosures for #2 in order for my answer to be helpful. What is in the print that makes the enclosures look like phonetic enclosures to you? Do phonetic enclosures differ in appearance from diacritic enclosures?

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

What I see in print (contents page) is 'forward slash letter forward slash' /r/. The contents page is the only place in the text where these slashes around a letter appear.

On the print pages (2-3, 22-23, 42-43), the text shows 'bold italic r' r, talks about syllables and words that contain r, and the sound of the r in those syllables and words. Nowhere in the text is there a stessed or unstressed diactitic. Neither is there a phoentic display of a word.

So, to directly answer your question ... I see slashes around a letter, words that describe the strength of that letters sound in a word, and this, along with my limited experience with phoentics, leads me to belive that it is a phonetic enclosure.

I posted here because the error warning light in my minds eye is in overdrive over this slash and my assumptions about what it is and how to present it.

joannavenneri
    Participant

I think this may be some of the confusion:

...[color=#990066] I see slashes around a letter, words that describe the strength of that letters sound in a word, and this, along with my limited experience with phoentics, leads me to belive that it is a phonetic enclosure. [/color]

Slashes are also used in DIACRITICS. What is it about the slashes that has you identify this as phonetics and not as diacritics? An answer would only make sense if you can tell me how you came to consider phonetics in the first place. In other words, I'm wondering how you identify phonetics.

--Joanna

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.