Spanish glossary

Home Forums Foreign Language Spanish glossary

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Joanna,

I have an American History book with a Spanish glossary in the back. Everything in the glossary is in Spanish except the entry words, which are English. I have read the past posts about this type of situation and I understand that the Spanish is brailled according to the interim foreign language manual, but I'm not sure what to do with the entry words. Do I use contractions or not? Here is an example of an entry (minus the Spanish accent marks):

abolition [abolicion] s. movimiento para acabar con la exclavitud (pag. 464)

Thank you.

Keitha

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Keitha,

Excellent question and thanks for the very helpful example. The entry words are English, and they are brailled in English with contractions. These entry words will also be the guide words on line 25, again fully contracted.

The Spanish will be Spanish with the special accented letters and so on according to the Interim Manual. The print sets off the Spanish entry word with brackets. Follow print and use braille brackets as well. This arrangement is enough of a pattern for the reader to get the idea. The reader will also have seen the glossary in English and so will easily recognize that this next glossary is Spanish. And the reader will no doubt have noticed by now, as we all have, that these translated glossaries in non-foreign language textbooks are now quite common.

Don't forget to list the Spanish accented letters and any Spanish puncutation that may occur as special symbols.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Joanna,

Thank you so much for your help with this. I'm sorry to take so long to reply, but I was having trouble getting signed in. Thanks again for your help.

Keitha
    edited by kmartin51 on 1/15/2010

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

So glad to hear this helped. And I'm VERY glad to see you've been able to sign in. Sign in has been a technical problem with our new forum and I understand it is now resolved. If you have ANY further difficulty signing in, please contact NBA national office. We want everybody to be able to participate in our forum.

--Joanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.