Spanish punctuation in educatioinal materials

Home Forums Foreign Language Spanish punctuation in educatioinal materials

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi,

When transcribing Spanish-learning educational materials for English speakers, like a worksheet, we do not use contractions for the Spanish and we do use special symbols for accented letters, such as dots 12456 for n-tilde, correct? What about question marks and inverted punctuation? UEB and Provisional Guidance seem to be saying different things, though Provisional Guidance refers us to UEB. Please help me understand.

Julie

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Oops, I meant "educational materials".

Julie

Anna

Hi Julie, sorry for the delay.  Yes, in language-learning materials, Spanish is brailled uncontracted and using Spanish symbols for the accented letters.  For punctuation and indicators, BANA recommends using all UEB symbols, including for the inverted question and exclamation marks.  Using all UEB punctuation prevents any confusion between the codes, such as between the Spanish question mark and the UEB subscript indicator, which use the same symbols.

The Provisional Guidance was less specific on this, but it has been replaced by "Guidelines for Braille Transcription of Languages Other Than English," which you can find on the BANA website.  The new guidelines are more straightforward in recommending all UEB punctuation in texts at this level.

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Whew! It sounds like I transcribed correctly. That makes sense now--no confusion with UEB subscript indicator. Thank you!

Julie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.