spatial calculations in UEB technical code

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary spatial calculations in UEB technical code

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rsherwood12
    Participant

Hello,

I have a book teaching Chisanbop (a method of calculating numbers using the fingers) to be transcribed in UEB technical code. I am finding the guidance for math in the UEB technical guidelines to be somewhat sparse, and I am hoping you can give me some additional help.

In the attached PDF, there is a page of simple single-digit addition problems, a page with longer numbers requiring carryovers which are indicated by boxes above the columns to be added, a page using dots and dots in circles which are explained on the page, and a page with multiplication problems with solid and dashed squares. The attached .BRF has my best guesses for how to format these situations. I apologize if my samples are all over the map. I tried a few different techniques for representing the odd shapes.

Page 1 Separation lines: I have notes from the NBA Conference in Louisville workshop in UEB technical material stating that the separation line should never include the sign of operation, but I cannot find anything in the codes to indicate this. Is there an accepted document of standards out there for this kind of situation?

For columns of single digits, if the separation line cannot be under the plus sign, would it make sense to repeat the numeric indicator for each number, rather than using the numeric passage indicator, since the separation line has to be two characters anyway?

Page 2 Carryover boxes: Would I use the square <span class="simbraille">$#d</span> and insert spaces between all the columns to accommodate the square symbol? Or is there a different way to handle blanks to be filled in? If I don't enclose the carryover numbers in squares, I can maybe use a global TN to indicate that "Carryover numbers which appear in squares in print are brailled in the row above the calculation and in a column to the left of the column of numbers to which each one applies."

Page 3 Dot and Circled Dot: The dot is not a multiplication sign, but an indication that the student should change which fingers are pressed on the table. Would the bullet symbol be appropriate? For the circled dot would I use <span class="simbraille">$=[_4</span>? Would this be spaced or unspaced from the digit? Alternatively, would this be a place to use the transcriber-defined print symbols?

Page 4 Solid and dashed squares: The solid squares are always carryover boxes and the dashed squares are column answers. In my attached sample I used the first and second transcriber-defined print symbols. How does this layout look?

Thanks for any guidance or suggestions.

Best,
    Rebecca

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    wbenckhuysen

Hi Rebecca,

The Line of separation is placed under the digits only with the sign of operation outside EXCEPT for a single digit spatial operations using the numeric passage indicator. There is an example in Guidelines for Technical Material on page 20. CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) has told me that it is a format issue and that hasn't been completely worked out yet.

On page one you could use the numeric passage indicator and terminator so you wouldn't have to include the numeric indicator throughout the exercise. In this case you would include the separation line under the sign of operation.

I will look at the following pages and get back to you ASAP.

Wendy

wbenckhuysen

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was checking with a colleague.

Page 2, We agree on how you transcribed this using the square for the omission. Include a TN about the other numbers in a square.

Page 3, We would use transcriber defined print symbols for the "bullet" and "bullet within a circle". It would use less cells. Include a TN.

Page 4, Looks good as you have it using transcriber defined symbols. You may need to change them to third and fourth if you use first and second on page 3.

I hope I answered all your questions.

Wendy

rsherwood12
    Participant

Thanks for your quick reply, Wendy!

I do want to make sure that my margins and the spacing between columns were OK in the sample BRF I sent.  I included one blank cell between addition or multiplication problems when there were multiple problems across the page. Is that sufficient? Does there need to be a blank cell between the end of the problem identifier and the plus sign on the next line, or can the plus sign just be in the first cell to the right of the identifier (i.e., on braille page 41/print page 20)?

Did I correctly place the numeric passage indicator on print pages 23 and l55 (in cell 1, with the plus sign in cell 3)?

If I use the 3rd and 4th transcriber-defined print symbols on print page 68, they take up more cells, and I wouldn't be able to fit the text to the right. Would a TN like @.<In each of the following three illustrations, the label "Carry-over boxes" appears to the right of the row of solid boxes, and the label "Column Answers" appears to the right of the row of broken boxes. Symbols used: (then a 1-3 list) .=@#? Solid box .=^#? Broken box@.> be a good solution? Solid and broken boxes are the words from the text.

For the exercise on print page 68 which has numbers inside the solid and broken boxes, would you recommend just omitting the boxes because the format has been laid out in the preceding examples and use a TN explaining that "The solid and broken boxes have been omitted. The numbers from the right hand are placed in the column answer row, and the numbers from the left hand are placed in the carry-over row above and one column to the left."?

Thanks again,
    Rebecca

wbenckhuysen

Hi Rebecca,

Part of the frustration is having very few examples and information on formatting in the Technical Guidelines. In this case I would follow the Nemeth format for spatial arrangements found on pg. 184, 185 and 188 of the rulebook. One column of blank cells between the identifier and the left most symbol. Also one column of blank cells between the problems across the page.

On print page 23 the placement is correct from the examples I have seen to date.

I think if you can solve the problems with TNs (pg.68) that is fine and doesn't use so many cells for the reader.

This is all so new to us and hopefully it will become easier as we see examples. I am hoping there will be a rulebook published and not just Guidelines.

Thanks for your patience,

Wendy

rsherwood12
    Participant

Thank you for your help!

Rebecca

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.