special typefaces within a word

Home Forums Foreign Language special typefaces within a word

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Isabelle
    Participant

How do I differentiate the emphasis of two different letters within a French word when rule 5.8.1 of Formats 2011 says that the italics sign should be used.
    In my exemple the accentuated vowels are colored in blue; the following consonant is in bold.
    If I use only the italics sign, I cannot differentiate the two sets of letters.
    Thank you for your help,
    Isabelle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Any time there is an emphasized letter or group of letters within a word, it becomes harder to read in braille. Just using italics inserts the italic symbol and the termination sign, interrupting the word in two places. Adding more emphasis makes that word impossible to read.

I suggest using italics once and a transcriber's note to describe the rest of the situation.

The text states that a consonant follows a stressed vowel. The text itself differentiates the two sets of letters in this way.

Before those words, and AFTER the introduction sentence, We never double ..., place a transcriber's note that says the stressed vowel is printed in blue and the consonant that follows is printed in bold. Then, braille the word list using italics followed by the termination sign for the blue vowels. Ignore the bold in braille. The TN describes it. It is not necessary say in the TN that the stressed vowel is in italics in braille. The reader is reading the braille and will see the italics. Also, the print text has explained that there are stressed vowels.

In this way you have explained the situation to the reader and explained the two sets of letter and interrupted the actual words as little as possible. You have also followed the guidelines that says to use only italics for emphasized letters.

--Joanna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.