statistics terms with dot between letters

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science statistics terms with dot between letters

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have a set of terms for statistics having the letter r with superscript 2 and simultaneously one of the following subscripts (definitions are listed):

YI.M squared partial correlation of set I with the criterion with set M partialled out
    Y.M squared partial correlation resulting from prediction of criterion by a set of variables M
    Y.MI squared multiple correlation resulting from combined prediction of criterion by a set of variables M plus their interaction I
    Y(I.M) squared semi-partial (or part) correlation of set I with the criterion with set M partialled out

How should the "dot" be transcribed? The position of the dot is not like the position of a multiplication dot--it is like a decimal point or period.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I'm sorry to be so slow in replying. The holidays have messed up my routine.

Transcribe the dot as a decimal point. It will not be confused with an italic indicator because that would require an English letter indicator following it. Don't forget the dot 5 after the decimal point because what follows the decimal point is non-numeric.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I still find this confusing: what would distinguish the decimal point from a Greek letter indicator? And what would distinguish the dot 5 from a baseline indicator? (Perhap the answer is context, or does it require a tn?)

Unfortunately, I had a deadline to meet, and I had these terms in the glossary, which was in the first two volumes I had to send off. Now I'm on chapter 8 of this book, and the terms are in this chapter. In the glossary, I transcribed them with an English letter indicator after the decimal point. How would you handle that? Should I send a correction for the glossary, and go ahead and transcribe them in chapter 8 as you suggested?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Rule V §32 Use of Type-Form Indicators with Letters ... (The italic indicator is listed as dots 46) The appropriate type-form indicator must be used to express the type form of a letter. The type-form indicator for a letter must always be followed by an alphabetic indicator (for English, it's dots 56). So, by inserting the letter indicator following dots 46, you are saying that dots 46 is an italic indicator.

The multipurpose indicator must be used after the decimal point symbol to indicate that the symbol which follows it is not numeric. Rule XXIII §v. In this situation, the dot 5 is a multipurpose indicator not a baseline indicator.

I can see where the reader might confuse the meaning of these symbols, but context and discussion would define the use of the decimal point.

I don't know what kind of advice I should give you about switching to a different "system". Perhaps that should come from the requestor of the material. If the book is to be registered for others to use, a correction should be made to assure that this is treated identically in all volumes of the book.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.