Strong Groupsigns

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Strong Groupsigns

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sjs1978
    Participant

I have a question about Strong Groupsigns. In the manual I received at last year's convention (in Milwaukee) it stated (on page 25) that you "Cannot bridge words that make up an unhyphenated compound word". One of the examples is: "Bighorn".

I am brailling a document using Duxbury 11.3 with the BANA UEB template and the word "leghorn" came through with the "gh" contracted. Wouldn't that fall under the same rule as "Bighorn"? If not, can you explain why. According the old rules, we would not have contracted leghorn, so I am pretty confused.

Thanks for any help you can give.

claurent

I would say that according to the rules you cannot use the 'gh' contraction for several reasons:  10.11.1 says to not use a groupsign which would bridge the words which make up an unhyphenated compound word; 10.11.2 says to not use 'gh' when the 'h' is aspirated...which it is in leghorn; 10.12.6 shows the bighorn example (stating not to use a contraction when it would hinder the recognition of the word).  You should not rely on your software for this one; but rather follow the rules.

Cindi

sjs1978
    Participant

Thanks for getting back to me, Cindi. I am working with a new paraprofessional who is taking a braille course, so she is learning everything in UEB. I try to explain the rules behind things, but then something like this comes up. I couldn't figure out why there was a difference between "bighorn" and "leghorn". I try to use the rules I have learned in the past, but it can be very challenging in the world of UEB. I find that I am relying on the braille translator more these days when I am unsure, but maybe that is not the best choice.

Thanks again,

Susan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.