Sub – headings within Table of Contents

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Sub – headings within Table of Contents

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

When transcribing adult fiction books with a table of contents that has subheadings within the contents what rule do you follow to transcribe the subheadings? Please understand I only have transcribers that are Literary certified and they are having a debate on this issue and I want to know what an expert would do. The individual receiving the book is a honorable member of the community surrounding our facility. We are doing the transcription through a request of the Warden, could you please help me with this issue?

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

A JET
    Five 239
    Six 256

COMING HOME
    Nine 309
    Ten 350

Thanks
    Ms. Marshall

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Ms. Marshall,

According to the Instruction Maual for Braille Transcribing, Fifth Edition 2009, section 19.2f (page 19-11) tells us "when a main entry is followed by a subentry, all main entries start in cell 1 with runover lines starting in cell 5. The subentries start in cell 3 with runover lines in cell 7."
    Thus, regarding your question, A JET would start in cell 1 with the subheading Five and Six starting in cell 3. Be sure, for Literary pagination, that the page numbers are changed to reflect the braille.

I hope this helps.

Jana

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.