super or minus

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science super or minus

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bama Braille
    Participant

This is from a 4th grade workbook. I do not have the accompanying textbook. There is no discussion or examples, only directions for each page of problems. When a minus follows a minus in print the second minus has parens -(-) so I think the circled problems should be treated as superscripts, but wanted to verify with you before I proceed. Thanks for you help

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dworthing
    Participant

You are correct. Those minuses are superscript -- don't forget the dot 5 baseline indicator between the minus sign and the digit that follows the superscript.

[braille]~-"26-~-"13

dworthing
    Participant

Dorothy, thanks again for your help. I have another question on the same topic. I've just received the next workbook in the same series as previously discussed. 8th grade, with no accompanying textbook, so I can only go by context of each page in the workbook. In this next workbook in the series, the first page shows a number line with the same raised minus sign to look like a superscript. But it is obviously a minus. Now I think this publisher is printing all the minus signs in a raised position. I have attached the page with the number line.
    I have already sent the 1st workbook out with the raised minus signs transcribed as superscripts. I am really frustrated and I know the student will be confused. Please give me you best advice on how to proceed.

Bama Braille
    Participant

Hi. If the only instances of minus signs in this book are all superscripts and you don't have any baseline minus signs to contend with, you could probably state in a tn that the superscript position of the minus sign in this volume is not retained. However, if you have any expressions where some minus signs are not superscript, to change the minus signs would not maintain the meaning intended by the editor. Alternatively you could exempt just the minus signs in number lines from the superscript requirement.

Bama Braille
    Participant

Thank you, Dorothy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.