Superscipt numbers on letters

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Superscipt numbers on letters

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ed Godfrey
    Participant

Hi all. Many examples of single letter note names (A, B, C, D, E, F, G) appear in music textbooks. UEB requires the "grade 1 symbol indicator" before these letters (except A) when standing alone. When superscript numbers follow a letter, the letter is no longer standing alone, and the (56) is not required before the letter. The (56), however, *is* required before the superscript indicator (35) in literary context.

A typical sequence would then be: (6)(14)(56)(35)(3456)(124), which denotes the note C in the 4th octave, the note we call Middle C.

When several of these letter/superscript numbers appear in a sequence, separated by hyphens, we can use the "grade 1 word indicator" (56)(56) at the beginning. This indicator is terminated by the next space.

1. How many of these letter/superscript number combination are required before we can use the "grade 1 word indicator"?

2. Does the "grade 1 word indicator" allow us to drop the (56) before the superscript indicators within the sequence?

-Ed

claurent

First, let me say that I am not a music transcriber, so if anything I say conflicts with the music code, please let me know.

You can use the grade 1 word indicator if you want grade 1 mode to apply to more than one symbol. So if you have more than one superscript within one symbols sequence, use the grade 1 word indicator and you are then in grade 1 until the space. You would not need an additional grade 1 indicator within that same symbols sequence. Just remember that you are in grade 1 mode...so no contractions are allowed. To terminate grade 1 mode before a space, use the grade 1 terminator. Also keep in mind that the numeric indicator also sets grade 1 mode. In the example you show below [(6)(14)(56)(35)(3456)(124)] if you had an additional superscript following the number, you would not need the grade 1 indicator before that superscript.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cindi

Ed Godfrey
    Participant

Thanks, Cindi! No conflict with music code.

-Ed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.