Superscript negative number

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Superscript negative number

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tung
    Participant

Good afternoon Kyle,

I am transcribing a math book, in print they used superscript for negative numbers in exercises and graphs thoughout  (see the attachment). My questions are:

1.  Can I  use (substitute all) with the regular minus sign and mention that in the Transcriber's Notes page? Since superscript before the number takes too much space, and there is not enough to spare.
    2.  I want to open the Nemeth Switch after the word "point" (before question 8) and close after number 13. The word "point" is not contracted (not using single word switch). Is that correct way to do?

Thank you very much.

Tung

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Tung,

If in the text you are transcribing there is no distinction in meaning between a superscripted and an unsuperscripted negative/minus sign, then I would indeed, as you say, use (substitute all) with the regular minus sign and mention that in the Transcriber’s Notes page.

In response to your second question, if you follow the as-yet-unpublished updates to the our Guidance (which Dorothy Worthington talked about in her recent NBA webinar, "Update to the Guidance for Transcription Using Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts. What Has Changed?"), then I believe you could follow the new item #6 under Additional Guidelines and not use Nemeth Code at all for "Point R", "Point T", etc, because they are single-letter names of geometric items.

Thank you for your, as always, astute questions.

–Kyle

Tung
    Participant

Thank you very much.

Tung

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.