Superscript Numbered Note

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Superscript Numbered Note

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Klepper

I am confused about the use of the Grade 1 indicator in superscript notes.

(dots 35) level change up (superscript)

UEB Code Book, 11.4.2 If a superscript or subscript appears within a grade 2 passage, it may need a grade 1 indicator.

I understand using the Grade 1 indicator when it follows directly after the word because it could be read as the contraction "in". But what about when the superscript note indicator follows a period (.). I have attached a sample from the text being transcribed. Would I still need to use the Grade I indicator when the superscript comes after a period?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

According to UEB 10.6.8 you are to use the contraction for 'in' wherever it occurs.  According to 10.6.10, use lower groupsigns as long as there is an upper dot in the sequence in which it is used.  Because of these two rules, the superscript indicator could be read as the contraction for 'in' without the grade 1 indicator.  In your example, you do need the grade 1 indicator before the superscript.

Cindi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.