Switch indicators before Cartesian graph and after

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Switch indicators before Cartesian graph and after

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

This is a UEB with Nemeth transcription. Please see the attached print example.

When a sentence ends with math, then a Cartesian graph follows, then a table requiring Nemeth (or any kind of math for that matter) follows the graph, where do I open and close Nemeth? I explain on the Transcriber's Notes page that Nemeth code switch indicators are omitted for Cartesian graphs. In this case then, do I close Nemeth just prior to the period in the sentence before the graph or do I use a punctuation indicator before the period and keep Nemeth going? Also, since the Transcriber's note implies that Nemeth ends after the graph, should I use the Nemeth opening box line for the table (or opening switch indicator for any math) that follows the Cartesian graph?

~Laurie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

In my opinion, your TN says that graphs will not have switches...not that they can't be within switches. Leave Nemeth open until after the table. The closing switch indicator would go by itself in cell 1 after a blank line following the closing box line. If you wanted, you could modify your TN slightly to reflect that...something like "Cartesian graphs are created in Nemeth whether or not they are enclosed within Nemeth switch indicators."

Cindi

braillebud
    Participant

Ohhh, I like that tweak to the TN. Thank you!

~Laurie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.