Symbol for “is a normal subgroup of”

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Symbol for “is a normal subgroup of”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Attached is a doc showing two examples containing the symbol for normal subgroup.

Has anyone created a Braille symbol for this? Would you classify it as an operator or a comparator?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

No one I have discussed this with is aware of a previously created symbol for normal subgroup.

It certainly seems to have the function of a comparison symbol. Our suggestion is to devise a shape in the style of the other triangles listed in Rule XVI (NC page 113-114) using the letter n to identify it as "normal" -- [braille]$t.n]
    A tn must describe the shape the symbol represents ("equilateral triangle pointing left").

As a comparison sign, it would require a space on either side.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks once again. I'm learning that higher math means sometimes having to "make it up as you go along". 🙂

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

A late suggestion came in on this question.

Section 107 covers this situation. Just use a shape symbol followed unspaced by 2 letters.

So your symbol could be [braille]$ns for "normal subgroup" which is a shorter term than modifying a triangle. Your tn (or special symbols page) would still have to describe the print sign (left-pointing equilateral triangle) when defining the symbol's meaning.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

My first inclination was to use [braille]$ns

But I felt like I was being "lazy".

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

not "lazy" -- efficient

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.