Symbols

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kathys Dots
    Participant

In this international Mathematics book, there are two symbols which I am unfamiliar with: (left column) the bar before the p indicating negation 'not p' and (right column) the angle above the A indication the angle A. Please advise me on how to braille these.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dworthing
    Participant

I was reminded that this question has been posed before. Here is the earlier response regarding the negation symbol.

This variant logic symbol ¬p is not listed in the Nemeth Code. The transcriber should devise a symbol that is in keeping with usage. In this case, I suggest a 2-cell "dot 4" symbol since the more common symbol of ~p (tilde p) is a dot-4 symbol. Note that, listed in Appendix B of the Nemeth Code, there are 71 symbols beginning with a dot 4 so choose your symbol carefully since you cannot use one which already has a meaning. I suggest (4, 1345) -- dot 4 "n" for "not" -- explained in a transcriber's note. Wikipedia says "No matter how it is notated or symbolized, the negation ¬p can be read as "it is not the case that p", "not that p", or usually more simply (though not grammatically) as "not p"." Lindy

Kathys Dots
    Participant

Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.