synthetic division

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science synthetic division

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

If I start this display at the margin I can get all but the second row to fit. Would the best approach be to assign a key for cb? If I use c as the key for cb all 3 rows will fit on one line.
    Also, can I repeat the display, leaving out the separation lines, in order to draw the arrows? With a TN of course, thanks

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Well... this is an interesting dilemma. It sure would be hard to read with runovers. Ideally, a foldout would work here but if this is being prepared for publication, foldouts are impractical.

Personally, I don't like the idea of keying entries. Besides, a key must take up two cells, so I don't see how you would gain room here since "cb" also takes two cells. You suggest using "c" to represent "cb" but this will certain cause misreading. Sorry, this is not an option.

I would consider leaving out one of the columns. I would choose omitting the "an-3" column. The dividend shown in the introduction doesn't go out this far, so eliminating it from the illustration shouldn't cause a problem. You would state the omission in a TN of course. Do I hear objections from any mathematicians?

I like your idea about repeating the arrangement without the second separation line in order to draw the arrows.

Thank you for this interesting problem. Does anyone have a different idea?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

oops, I got carried away with the key idea. I'll definitely go with omitting the an-3 column as you suggested, but have one more question about the drawn arrows. since i'm skipping the an-3 column, will I completely ignore the arrow drawn from bn-3 to cbn-3? Just want to make sure I don't need to draw the arrow from bn-3 to the ellipsis. Thanks so much, Lindy!

Lindy Walton

Right. Just copy what you see in print for that column you are eliminating -- no arrow to the ellipsis.

Lindy Walton

Got it, and Lindy I really appreciate your quick response!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.