Systems of Equations

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Systems of Equations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shelley Mack
    Participant

I'm passing on a question regarding identifying something as a system of equations. Please see the attached pdf.

Thanks,

Shelley Mack

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi Shelley. What your attached image shows is not a system of equations, as far as I can tell. The text which precedes these four equations says "Each equation represents one of the hanger diagrams." I'm not familiar with hanger diagrams, but it seems from the text that these are four separate equations. 2y = x is a simplification of the other three equations in your example,

If the student is asked to express one variable in terms of another, that would be solving a system of equations. For example, that second equation "2y = x" is expressing x in terms of y. That might be a solution to a system. But in this case, it is just simplifying the terms of each of the other three equations.

If there is a mathematician reading this, please correct me if I am misinterpreting this topic. Maybe you can explain it better? Is "system of equations" an outmoded term?

Thank you.

Lindy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.