Table- Nemeth column headings, UEB row headings?

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Table- Nemeth column headings, UEB row headings?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cheri A. Wales
    Participant

Hello.  I'm trying to braille this table and I'm confused.  I think the column headings should be in Nemeth and the row headings in UEB (if I'm wrong, please correct me).  I know where to put the opening Nemeth indicator when the entire table is in Nemeth, but where do I put it in this case?    When I brailled the table, there isn't space on the top line of the column headings to put the opening Nemeth indicator near "Partner" in the first column heading without making the last column heading run over.  Do I put it directly above  the caps indicator and "P" of "Partner"on its own line?   I tried it in cells 1-2 but it looks confusing there as to what it applies to since I did the row headings in UEB.  I looked in NFB's Nemeth course lesson on tables and Braille Formats 2016 and I can't find a similar example.

Thank you,

Cheri Wales

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi Cheri. Thank you for your question. This is an interesting example because one of the column headings does indeed require Nemeth, and the row headings are words.

As with any table, there is more than one way to transcribe this. My first priority when setting up a table that will be used in a classroom setting is to have the layout match print as much as possible. The second priority is not to overuse keying or transcriber's notes, since that tends to take the reader's attention away from the table itself.

In this table, the issues are not really the row headings. There are only two contractions in those words, so transcribing them in UEB or in Nemeth doesn't change the spacing issues.

Here is what I would do with this table. Write a transcriber's note that "x" means "Partner 1(x)" and that "y" means "Partner 2(y)". Now all you need to do is switch to Nemeth for the "d-squared" column heading. See BRF example, attached.

I don't know why there is no space between 1 and (x), between 2 and (y). I followed print and I transcribed 1(x) and 2(y) in UEB.

Lindy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Cheri A. Wales
    Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.