Tables within numbered exercise material

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Tables within numbered exercise material

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

When we have numbered or lettered lists as exercise material (like problem numbers in a math book), we are supposed to use list format (i.e. 1-3, 1-5/3-5 etc). How does this apply to tables (and other boxes) within numbered exercise material? I'm attaching one example below. I've also seen examples where the boxes/tables are actually numbered/lettered as well (i.e. multiple choice questions).

My instinct is to have the box lines start in the appropriate runover cell - but I can't find anything to say that would be acceptable.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

Boxes always start in cell 1...even within exercise material. The box lines take it 'outside' the 'regular' text.

If you have an example of what you mean about boxes/tables that are numbered/lettered answer choices, attach a copy so I can see what you mean and then I can address that issue.

Have a good day!

Cindi

Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

This isn't actually a multiple choice question, but it looks the same as the ones I've seen in the past. So I'm asking about a question that looks like this (with or without the exterior box lines), with a question like "Which table is done correctly?"

If we follow the "boxes start in cell 1" logic, then the student loses the formatting cues that the box is part of the preceding question. So to me it seems more logical to have boxes start at the adjusted left margin instead of always starting in cell 1 regardless of context, usage, or other formatting rules. And if it is important to have boxes start in cell 1 at all times, then I think it should have been made clear in the box section of BF - there is currently no rule that someone can point to and say "According to rule __, all boxes must start in cell 1 - no exceptions, no transcriber discretion."

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

How about BF 11.2.5a which says that tables begin in cell 1.

As for boxes, because the box lines use the width of the braille line (unless BF says otherwise) they should start in cell 1.

In the examples attached here (both of them), the questions tell the reader to complete the table, so there would be no confusion. I get that the ideal situation is to keep the 1-3, or 1-5, 3-5 format for exercise material but sometimes it just isn't possible when following the rules of BF.

Cindi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.