Tactile and its description order

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Tactile and its description order

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tung
    Participant

Good morning

I have a situation where in print a graphic (an illustration of a right angle for example) followed by a description of it. My question: Is there a rule to dictate that in braille which one should go first: the graphic or the description or just follow print order?

Thank you very much

rsherwood12
    Participant

Good afternoon!

According to the Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics section 5.2, the preferred order for information related to a graphic would be:

• heading
    • caption
    • TN
    • key
    • graphic
    • source

If the description of your illustration appears to be a caption that applies only to the graphic and is not part of the regular surrounding text, I would suggest placing it before the graphic even if it appears below or after the illustration in print.

However, section 5.2 also states that for each print graphic, the transcriber must "decide how these elements may be presented to the reader in the most understandable order and format." If for some reason you felt it would be more readable or useful to place the description after the graphic, it would be acceptable to do so.

Sincerely,
    Rebecca

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.