textbooks for grades 1-3

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook textbooks for grades 1-3

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bama Braille
    Participant

In the new BANA guidelines are there any requirements for grades 1-3 as in the old guidelines? I'm looking for recommendations as to double spacing, single-side embossing, and contracted or uncontracted braille.

joannavenneri
    Participant

I can't give you a complete answer, but I will get some further information and post it here as I get it. If you have an an urgent transcription to start now, please continue with the guidelines you have been using. I do know that the BANA Early Literaracy Committee has been waiting for the new guidelines so that it can update early grade requirements. As I get more information about updated guidelines for early grades, I will post them.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Thanks, Joanna, I'll watch for your post

joannavenneri
    Participant

Thanks for your patience. I now have a suggestion that comes from a truly higher authority, namely someone who helped write the new Formats. I am advised that much of the upcoming Early Literacy guidelines will refer back to our new guidelines. In the absence of a current Early Literacy document, there is enough in the guidelines themselves. See Section 1.6 on page size, line length and line spacing. Essentially, double spacing and uncontracted braille are agency decisions. so you need to have the agency (or the actual teacher) specify these things. There are no specific provisions for anything else, like transcriber's notes. I suggest that the wording of TN's match the vocabulary level of the surrounding text as much as possible. Follow the guidelines with regard to font attributes. The guidelines do encourage transcribers to make judgments. If the teacher or other appropriate person from the agency is available, you can utilize their directions as agency decisions.

Hope this helps.

Joanna

Bama Braille
    Participant

I also am working on a first grade workbook. I just found a reference in new guidelines in Appendix C that states: Double-Spaced Material Two blank lines where there is normally one blank line. Current Early Literacy guidelines states Never more than 1 blank line. Do you advise us to start using two blank lines again? We were only using the two blank lines if one blank line formatting made reading unclear, as with poetry. Thanks Joanna.

bscott
    Participant

There are no current Early Literacy Guidelines. They are no longer posted on the APH website because they are being revised and and updated to reflect the new Formats. Therefore, the current guidelines in Formats are to be followed regarding double spacing.

--Joanna

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.