Tilde spacing?

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Tilde spacing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am working on an electronics for scientists and engineers book that uses the ~ to indicate "poorly approximates". I have searched for a rule that governs how to space this symbol for the following expression.
    ~1 mA < |I| < ~10 mA

The logical operator symbol for ~ means "not" which is not how this is being used so I am unsure if this is to be treated as a sign of comparison like a normal double tilde approximation symbol is.

dworthing
    Participant

I am checking

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I don't think that this single tilde is being used as a comparison sign since, in the second instance in this example, it follows a "less than" sign. This tilde means “approximately” much in the same way the tilde means “not” in logic. (It is a qualifier here, not a sign of comparison.) I would braille it unspaced from the number to which it applies.

dworthing
    Participant

Would you then use the number indicator when the Tilde is used, as it is here, to mean "approximately"?

DR

dworthing
    Participant

If there is no space between the tilde and the following number it does not meet the criterion for requiring a numeric indicator. The number is not preceded by a space (or by a space and minus sign).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.