title, subtitle, edition in a set of books

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook title, subtitle, edition in a set of books

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rsherwood12
    Participant

Hello,

I am working on a set of books: a main student textbook and 5 ancillary workbooks. I am having trouble identifying what the title, subtitle, and edition are and which information should go in the ancillary workbooks' title segment.

There are no title pages, and the copyright pages do not have any information about the title, so I am pulling the info from the covers. I have attached a pdf of the covers. All of the books but one (of course, there's always an exception) include the following information:

TPS (publisher)
    Creative Science Curriculum with STEM, Literacy and Arts
    Texas Edition
    Student Edition
    Grade 3

Would I be right to format the main textbook title segment as:

TPS Creative Science Curriculum with STEM, Literacy and Arts Texas Edition; Student Edition: Grade 3

or would it be better as:

Creative Science Curriculum with STEM, Literacy and Arts; Texas Edition: Grade 3
    Student Edition

Also, do the words "Fall into" seem like they should be part of the title or like they are just creative cover wording?

BF 2.4.3.f says "The primary book title is used as the subtitle for the secondary books." How much of the main textbook's title is repeated? For instance, would the first workbook be formatted:

Amelia Rose Explores
    TPS Creative Science Curriculum with STEM, Literacy and Arts Texas Edition; Student Edition: Grade 3

or

Amelia Rose Explores; Student Edition: Grade 3
    TPS Creative Science Curriculum with STEM, Literacy and Arts Texas Edition

or something else??

The "Science Is a Verb!" workbook does not repeat the curriculum title, but it is clearly part of the set. Should I include the main title on the title page even though it is missing from this cover?

Thanks so much for your help.

Best,
    Rebecca

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Several transcribers I know have this series at different grade levels. I would suggest that you ask the agency how they want this handled. All of the options you suggested are correct; the trick here is to determine which is the main title and which is the series title and that may depend on how the agency has determined that. Ask them and please post the answer here.

I am currently mentoring some transcribers who have this series at Grade 7 and they have chosen your second option.

Go ahead and ask and let us know!

--Joanna

rsherwood12
    Participant

I will let you know what I find out.

In the meantime, a question about running heads: Do you include the edition and grade number if they can fit? Or just the basic title?

Thanks,
    Rebecca

rsherwood12
    Participant

The agency is requesting that the title of the student textbook be:

Fall into Creative Science Curriculum…; Texas Edition: Grade 3
    Student Edition

And the ancillary materials should be formatted:

Amelia Rose Explores; Texas Edition: Grade 3
    Student Edition
    TPS Creative Science Curriculum with STEM, Literacy and Arts

Science Is a Verb! should not have the series title because it does not appear on the cover.

Hope that helps!
    Rebecca

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.