to before abbreviation

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science to before abbreviation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Should the to contraction be used in the following example?

"Did A.M. change to P.M.?"

My translation program did not use the to contraction. The only thing I can find in the code is Page 66 Rule IX Sec.55cii "The contractions for to... must not be used before any of the items listed below. ... Before any abbreviation which consists of one letter or a combination of letters corresponding to a short-form word."

betty.marshall
    Participant

Translation software is fallible. There are many times I have second-guessed myself because of my translation software. While it is a valuable tool when transcribing, we must always be on the alert for exceptions. The rule that you sited below, details in great length where a contractions may [u]not[/u] be used. An abbreviation (such as P.M.)is not included in this listing. As such, if not delineated in the Nemeth Code, you revert to the rules of English braille, where you would find that you [u]should[/u] use the contraction for the word to prior to an abbreviation.

Betty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.