To use or not to use Nemeth Format

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science To use or not to use Nemeth Format

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Barbara
    Participant

I have a math worksheet with a bar graph. None of the text requires Nemeth, I don't believe, so do I need to use Nemeth formatting on the worksheet such as indentions and directions?

This same worksheet has the following text underneath the graph: MPH = Miles Per Hour

Would that be in Nemeth because of the equal sign and this is a math worksheet? It's the only text that might be considered Nemeth. So, for more clarity, does any "=" sign need to be done in Nemeth if its on a math worksheet, even though it isn't an equation?

Thanks so much!

Barb

kdejute

Thank you for the question, Barb.

I would say yes. On a math worksheet, any equals sign needs to be in Nemeth Code. If there is an anchor before that equals sign and/or a link after it (even if both the anchor and link consist of nothing but words/letters), those need to be included in the switch indicators that are required for the equals sign.

This prevents us from either 1) using both the UEB equals symbol and the Nemeth equals symbol in the same document or 2) switching into Nemeth Code only for a sign of comparison while leaving its anchor or link outside in the cold.

Once you've used Nemeth Code for anything in a transcription, then the whole transcription should abide by the marriage of Braille Formats and Nemeth Code formatting rules.

Please do not hesitate to follow up here with any questions or worries you have about this.

–Kyle

Barbara
    Participant

Kyle: I'm going to try and complicate this!!! If this math worksheet had no Nemeth on it at all, would you still use Nemeth formatting?

Thanks, Kyle!

Barb

kdejute

I see the difficulty here. ... If I were transcribing a worksheet whose subject was Math and/or Science, I would want to see other worksheets in the series. If some of those worksheets from the same series, did include material that would be transcribed in Nemeth Code (and so would necessitate abiding by the marriage of Braille Formats and Nemeth Code formatting rules), then I would probably transcribe all worksheets from that series following the same formatting rules.

If I were following Guidance and rules very strictly, then for a transcription in UEB which included no Nemeth Code switch indicators, I would follow only Braille Formats formatting rules.

So, if your math worksheet had no Nemeth on it at all, I would try to find a reason to use Nemeth formatting but could support the decision not to.

Thank you for complicating it!
    –Kyle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.