Transcriber-defined symbols

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Transcriber-defined symbols

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nancy Raspiller
    Participant

What do you do when you need more than 7 transcriber-defined symbols?  Thanks.

claurent

I would need more information in order to answer this question...It's hard to imagine a case where you would need than 7 undefined symbols?

Can you tell me what you have used the first 7 for?

Cindi

Nancy Raspiller
    Participant

Cindi, I am actually submitting questions for one of  my  transcribers who is an NBA member but without internet access. If this doesn't provide you with enough information, I can ask for clarification. I appreciate your help. Nancy

How is it to be handled when more than 5 (or 7) transcriber-defined symbols are required? We
    have a book that requires over ten different transcriber-defined symbols that all should be
    included in the text (for example: blue words are nouns, red words are verbs, etc.) What we did
    was use the 7 transcriber-defined symbols described in UEB, and then for the eight started over
    at the first transcriber-defined symbol but each preceded by an extra dot 4 (example: eighth
    transcriber-defined typeform is dots 4, 4, 3456, 23; ninth transcriber-defined typeform is dots 4,
    45, 3456, 23}. Is this acceptable?
    o Subnote to above: In the new Formats 2016 book, there are only 5 transcriber-defined
    symbols. Is this correct? UEB Rules lists 7.

claurent

There are 5 transcriber-defined typeform indicators and 7 transcriber-defined symbol indicators.  The typeform indicators are to be used for print fonts (red, highlighting, etc) the symbol indicators are to represent actual print symbols that there are no UEB indicators for.

If the book you are transcribing requires more than 5 transcriber-defined typeform indicators you will have to be creative...for instance, if there are no bold words in the text, it is acceptable to use bold (or script or underlining) for, say, the nouns (or whatever).  Though it is not technically correct to use the transcriber-defined symbol indicators to represent a font, it would be better to use symbols that already exist in UEB than to create your own symbols.

BF does not create or change UEB symbols...we used only what was already defined/explained in the UEB rule book.  We also did not "take out" any UEB symbols.

Cindi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.