Transcribers Note – Embedded or on TN Page

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Transcribers Note – Embedded or on TN Page

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ricia2001
    Participant

Hello. I need your help again. I am brailling a 5th Grade Math book which is teaching about decimals and fractions by using 10x10 (100's) grids and 10x10x10 (thousandths)grid cubes. I have included scanned copies of sample pages.

1 - The agency that I am working for has suggested that I put a Transcribers Note telling the student to ask their teacher for the blank grid paper they need for the 10x10 grids used for answering questions. Question: Since this occurs frequently in the first few volumes, would it be acceptable to put the note on the Transcribers Note Page and not include a TN at every occurance?

2 - They have also asked me to use a Transcribers Note directing the student to ask their teacher for guidance on ANY problem regarding grid cubes. Question: As you can see in the attached document, the diagram is a cube of 1000, but the only squares that are shaded on ANY of the grids in the book are on the front facing side. I would like to show the diagram showing only the front side and explain in a TN that it is shown as a cube but brailled one dimensional since blocks are only shaded on the front side, or something to that effect. Of course, if I decide to do cubes this way, I would get the OK from the agency first.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks,
    Patty

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ricia2001
    Participant

-1- You do need to have a TN at each occurrence, otherwise how will the student know when to ask for the paper? You can simplify it by saying ..Grid paper needed... or something similar. The tenths models are not grid paper--what about those?

-2- I think your idea of presenting only the face of the cube might lead to misinterpretation since, looking only at the face, the fraction or decimal would be 4/100 or 0.04 when the actual answer is 4/1000 or 0.004. I think you are safer following the instructions of the requesting agency. Keep the TN short, for example, ..Use a cube model...

Please write back if you have further questions.

Lindy Walton

Thank you for the quick reply and again, sorry for the attachment craziness.
    I understand your suggestions and the reasoning and will proceed as you have suggested.

The tenths models that you asked about I am planning to spur.
    Thank you again for all your help,
    Patty

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.