Transcribing an inverted Omega.

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Transcribing an inverted Omega.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aquinas Pather
    Participant

In the formulae for dimensionless velocity, the symbol of an inverted capitalised Greek letter, omega ℧, appears in several equations in the text.
    What should be the braille equivalent of this character?

I have attached a Word doc with more samples

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi Aquinas

As you know, there is no braille symbol assigned to an inverted capitalised Greek omega ℧, so you will need to create one and list it as a special symbol.

My first inclination is to create a symbol that hints at the meaning. I looked up Navier-Stokes equation on Wikipedia in order to get an idea what this symbol means, but only an upright Omega is used there. I looked up dimensionless velocity as well, with no luck. I asked a physicist. He's never seen this before.

You are free to create any symbol as long as it doesn't have another meaning in Nemeth. (Searched Appendix B of the Nemeth Code to be sure the new symbol is not listed there.) Since an upright Omega is (46, 6, 2456), it makes sense to me to make the upside-down version be (46, 4, 2456). By using the same base "2456" for omega, it will be easier for the reader to recognize within the formulae.

Let me know if this works for you.

Lindy

Aquinas Pather
    Participant

Hi Lindy.
    Thanks for looking into this.
    Using the "alternate forms of letters" as shown in Rule IV of the Green book also made the most sense to me.
    Using dots 46, 4, 2456 was exactly what I thought of using. Thanks for confirming this approach. Symbol will be noted on the SS Page.

Lindy Walton

Oh, yes, of course -- the alternate form! I suppose to be entirely accurate you should capitalize the letter, but since you are inventing the symbol I think it is okay to keep it to a 3-cell symbol. Your choice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.