Transcription Question

Home Forums Music Braille Transcription Question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Timpe
    Participant

Can anyone offer any advice about the best way to transcribe the music line in this vocal music? The cue-sized notes in this piece are suggestions for melodic ornamentation. As you can see from this one page though, they happen a lot throughout and I am unsure of the best way to present this. In other pieces in this book, I have used in-accords but that seems more complicated in this piece and I want to be able to present the main line of music as concisely as possible for the braille reader. Thanks for your help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

Hi Lucas,

I've always used in-accords for ornaments like this. It does seem a bit cumbersome when every measure has ornament options, but short of rewriting the whole aria a second time with the ornaments, this is the best way to present it. Besides, the singer may want to use some of the ornament options but not all. Rewriting the whole thing would make it more difficult to pick and choose their favorites.

I also think it's fairly concise and helpful to the singer - they can skip over the in-accords when they want to or refer to the optional melodic lines when they want to do that.

Hope that helps!

Kathleen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.