Transcriptions for native speakers of a foreign language

Home Forums Foreign Language Transcriptions for native speakers of a foreign language

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

I need guidance for the transcription of a brochure. One version is French, another is Spanish. Neither has any English so I presume they will be read by speakers of those languages. I am not fluent in either language. Is it reasonable/acceptable to transcribe these uncontracted and use the World Braille Usage reference for the foreign language signs, punctuation, and numbers (Antoine Numerical Notation for the French)?

rsherwood12
    Participant

Thank you very much for the question. This area is still up for a bit of debate as BANA works out specific recommendations for texts entirely in another language for native speakers of that language.

I am taking a little time to look up the specifics of Spanish and French braille and will respond again when I have more details.

Best,
    Rebecca

rsherwood12
    Participant

Hello again,

I did a brief search online for the French braille code and while I am not fluent, I know enough French to discover that while World Braille Usage provides a brief overview of the alphabets and punctuation marks used in French braille, it does not tell you how to use them. For instance, under the French alphabet, the "Antoine Numerical Notation: Figures" are listed on page 181 of WBU, but scanning through the full French braille code, I notice that the 2-cell Antoine numbers in the list are not simply substituted for print numbers. The dot 6 is used as a sort of numeric indicator, and there appear to be specific rules about when and how to use a numeric indicator. This is just one example.

Also, it is difficult to know what the readership of these brochures will be familiar with. Will they be in the US or another country, will they have seen materials in the full French or Spanish braille codes, or will they be more familiar with UEB braille conventions?

Unless your agency or the person requesting the material specifically asks that you use the full Spanish or French braille code, I think the best course of action would be to use Method 3 in BANA's Provisional Guidance for Transcribing Foreign Language Material in UEB: uncontracted braille, World Braille Usage for the accented characters, but UEB for punctuation marks, typeforms, formatting, etc.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
    Rebecca

braillebud
    Participant

Thank you Rebecca. I too had concerns about trying to use the Antoine Numerical Notation without some guidance. I appreciate your help. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.