Typeform Indicators – Blue font followed by italic font

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Typeform Indicators – Blue font followed by italic font

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    brlbyrussell
    Participant

Hi All, Attached are a contents and print page from a US History book. My concern is with which typeform indicator to use for the contents listing before the legal case name.

Note the contents listing for print page 135 has blue font words and is followed by an italic font word.  On the actual print page (135) we have an several "Content Vocabulary" words in bold font with yellow highlight (will use transcriber-defined indicator 1) and an "Academic Vocabulary" word in bold font. Note also on the contents page, other blue font words followed regular font words.

How should I transcribe the listing for print page 135?  (And the other blue font headings.)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

Let me ask you a couple of questions with some comments 🙂 :

1. Are you doing all of the blue text on the contents page on a line by themselves (Place and Time, Biography, etc)?  If so, then the blue isn't necessary because the margins distinguish them from what follows.  If not, then are you keeping the blue for that text? If yes, then keep it for all blue text (except headings).
    2. On print page 135, the text box pointing at ANALYZING SUPREME COURT CASES says "double cap followed by italics double cap". Does that mean you are combining the ANALYZING ... with the court case name "Plessy vs ..."? Or what are you italicizing there? If you are combining the two items on page 135, you should combine them (rather than making them separate entries) on the toc page.

Lots of emphasis here!  It would make a good workshop example 🙂

Cindi

brlbyrussell
    Participant

And the typeform indicator story continues ... (see new attachment with more bold and more italic). {Sorry the delay, rain storm in Tacoma knocked me offline for a bit!?}.

1 - Hadn't thought of that. Instead of 1-5, 3-5, I would use 1-7, 3-7, 5-7. I can do that to eliminate the blue typeform problem in the contents.  (Other bold followed by italic issues occur later in the 'Categorized' area, see below.)

2 - On print page 135, I see the "ANALYZING ... CASES" as a centered heading followed on the next line by the double cap AND the italic "PLESSY v. ..." (all legal cases in this print book use the same double cap "ANALYZING ..." and double cap italic font for '[LONG CASE NAME]' as shown in the first attachment).  I have some braille baggage (thank you Ed Godfrey) that says not to use both italic and double cap. Does UEB or BF2017 have a rule about italics and the names of court cases? With a bit of thought, could I box "ANALYZING ..." above the box line, terminate double caps, box line, double cap italic name, no cap no italic "v.", double cap italic FERGUSON?

Note: there are 11 "Interactive Analyzing Supreme Court Cases" (note the caps there, in the 'Categorized Table of Contents' [BF2016 2.10.13] and not attached here) that have single cap and italic case names, and four "Interactive Analyzing Supreme Court Cases" that have single cap and italic case names (in the 'categorized' area and newly attached here), along with several other instances in the 'Categorized' area of a bold something followed by an italic something, most of which I have already figured out how to format.

Attachments:
    claurent

OK - this might be more than you asked for...but here is what I would do (and I consulted with another member of my committee). And some of this may not work due to text on other print pages.

I attached my suggestion for the Table of Contents. Unit headings should be centered, but chapter headings start at the margin. See what you think.

For page 135, I would not keep both the yellow highlighting and the bold...a TN on the TN could explain that words in yellow highlighting are also bold in print. Keeping both is NOT against the rules though...so whatever you choose to do is ok.

I would say that ANALYZING... and PLESSY are two separate headings.  I would do the ANALYZING as a centered heading, the PLESSY as a cell 5 heading and Background... and How the ... as cell 7 headings. But again, there are multiple ways to do that where you would still be following the rules.

In the box at the bottom right with numbered items...I would suggest that you not use italics for the paragraph headings because of the other italics and bold on this page.  Keep both italics and bold to distinguish these items from the other bold and italics items.

Page xxii, I agree with your comments.

Page xxi - the bold is not necessary.  But some of the braille programs will keep the bold and you need to decide if it is worth taking it out.

Let me know if you have any other questions!  This book seems like it has a lot of interesting situations.

Cindi

Attachments:
    brlbyrussell
    Participant

Thank you Cindy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.