UEB – equation with a negative number within a fraction

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical UEB – equation with a negative number within a fraction

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    site4vi
    Spectator

I'm seeking clarity as I 2nd guess myself 😉

Using UEB, how would you braille the equation in the attached picture with the fraction numerator being a negative number?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

In your print equation (y equals the fraction "negative 1 over 3" x-squared minus 2x minus 3), since the fraction includes something other than "digits, decimal points, commas or separator spaces" (GTM 6.1), it cannot be a "simple numeric fraction." So, for this fraction in which the numerator and denominator are on different levels in print, we must use the general fraction indicators and general fraction line. I would transcribe the whole equation as follows.

⠰⠽⠀⠐⠶⠀⠰⠷⠐⠤⠼⠁⠨⠌⠼⠉⠾⠭⠔⠼⠃⠐⠤⠼⠃⠭⠐⠤⠼⠉

Thank you for the question!
    –Kyle

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by kdejute. Reason: addrd grade 1 symbol indicator before opening general fraction indicator
    site4vi
    Spectator

Thank you, Kyle!

site4vi
    Spectator

Oh ... just noticed ... wouldn't a grade 1 indicator be needed in front of the opening fraction indicator?

kdejute

Yes, indeed! Well spotted.

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Kyle,

I have a similar question, a negative fraction a/b. This is what I think:

;;"-(A./B)

Thanks, Fred

kdejute

Fred, that is exactly what I would do for the general fraction: minus "a over b"

–Kyle

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.