underscore

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I had a question on a Nemeth symbol.
    On Page 328, in the equations at the bottom of the table, how would I show the underscore mark (V_b = V_B)?
    Within the table, the symbol _cons , we used dots 456, 456.
    See in attachment blue rectangles.
    Thanks,

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dworthing
    Participant

There is no symbol for underscore in Nemeth Code. If you are using (456, 456) within the table then you must be doing column 1 in CBC. Is that correct? In order to offer an opinion about the construction of the underscore in the equations below the table, I need some idea of what their meaning is.

Judging by the text following the Table, the chi2 is chi-squared, yet the 2 is not shown in a superscript position. Is this all a computer output?

dworthing
    Participant

I am also finding an underscore in my work with a statistics book. The underscore appears in variables expressed as words, and seems to be used as a connecting hyphen would be used but since a hyphen looks like a minus sign, the underscore is being used instead. I have attached a sample where 16_21 means "sixteen through twenty-one." How can I braille an underscore in this context?
    edited by Lindy on 7/31/2013

dworthing
    Participant

I am consulting with the BANA math committee. Hopefully will have an answer soon.

Lindy Walton

The consensus of the committee is that when underscore appears in non-computer context and is representing the meaning that a hyphen would represent, a tn should explain that a hyphen is being substituted for the underscore symbol.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.