Units

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

My mother in law could not agree on the correct way to Braille a number and a following unit of measurement (ex. 4 in.) if there is a page break? Do you keep them together and does it matter if 4 is spelled out?

Thanks
    leslie

betty.marshall
    Participant

In literary braille, the abbreviation does not have to stay on the same line as the number assoicated with it. However, in Nemeth, the abbreviation cannot be separated from the number -- both must remain on the same line. See pg 206 of the Nemeth Braille Code for Math and Science Notation, §195.c. "An abbreviation must not be placed on a different braille line from its preceding or following numeral or letter." I believe that if the [u]word[/u] four is used (rather than the [u]number[/u] 4), this rule no longer applies, since it is a word, rather than a letter, to which the abbreviation is associated.
    (I assume that you meant a line break, but if it cannot be broken between lines, it cannot be broken between pages.)

Betty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.