unknown number of volumes

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook unknown number of volumes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    DianaDyal
    Participant

I am transcribing the practice pages for a geometry book--not the whole book. There are 10 chapters in the book, but some have more pages of practice pages than others, so I am not sure how many volumes the work will be. I will not be able to finish all the volumes before school starts, so I really don't know the total number of volumes in the finished transcription. My other problem is that each chapter begins with page 1 and no other designation as to which chapter the pages are in.
    I have put the chapter number as a subtitle--could there be a better way?
    I don't know what to do with the line "in [ ] volumes." The agency prefers that I don't go over 70-80 pages of braille per volume, Chapter 1 was 68 pages--I don't know about any subsequent chapters.
    Thank you. Diana

joannavenneri
    Participant

Stating the total number of volumes is an agency decision anyway and if the agency hasn't requested that, you don't have to do it. In this case, since it is not possible to know the total number of volumes, it can't be done anyway! Just leave out that line on the title page. See Formats 2.3.8.a(1).

As for print page numbering, each title page shows the print page numbers in that volume. If every page in every volume starts with 1, that's what it is. If appropriate, consider a transcriber's note on the transcriber's note page of the first volume that states the each braille volume begins with page 1 as printed.

You'll number the volumes themselves consecutively and that's about all you can do in this situation. The reader will have to use the table of contents to find out exactly what is in each volume. All you can show are the print page numbers that are there.

--Joanna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.