Use of contractions in proper foreign names

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Use of contractions in proper foreign names

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Jana, I'm working on my manuscript which contains Italian proper names. Rule 16.3b applies because the names are in regular typeface however 11.9 says I should only use contractions in proper names if I can ascertain the correct pronounciation. The names aren't listed in any standard American dictionary but I was able to find a really good website that has native speakers pronouncing the names. What do you think -- can I braille the names consistent with the Italian pronounciation and cite the website to my grader or should I just act like I don't know how to pronounce the names and braille them uncontracted? (I love working with braille, it's one of the few places where being obsessive about details is actually a good thing. 🙂 ) Thanks so much for your advice, it's much appreciated.
    edited by eluce0808 on 10/20/2010

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

Are the Italian names used in your book names that are easily recognizable as common names? If not, my feeling would be to braille them uncontracted. If they are common names or easily recognizable, I would use the contractions. A note to your evaluator stating the reason for your decision, if you did not contract them would be beneficial.

I hope this helps
    Jana

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.